Unfortunately, we can’t save them all. But we do everything in our power to lessen their pain and suffering and to show them unconditional love before they pass over the rainbow bridge.
My Charlie boy. Oh, how I wish I could have saved him.
I received a call about a dog with a “weird face” that had been dumped on a deserted football field. People in the community were throwing rocks at him because they were afraid that he would infect their own dogs with whatever strange disease he had.
I went to the football field three times but could never find him. He was so afraid of people that he would hide deep in the surrounding bushes. Luckily, on the third try I saw some movement in a bush and soon spotted him. He was terrified at first, and he didn’t want to leave his hide out.
I slowly crawled under the bush with him and gave him some food which he lapped up. He was skin and bones. Then I gently pulled him out with me and carried him to my car.
Over the next month, Charlie became my bestie. He would wag his tail like crazy and make a singing noise whenever I came back from work. He became my friend, my family.
I took Charlie for numerous vet checks, but none of the vets could figure out what was wrong with him. Eventually, we discovered that Charlie had a rare and highly aggressive autoimmune disease that would only get worse.
Although Charlie loved me and I loved him, I could see that he was suffering tremendously to eat and breathe; his condition only worsened.
So with a very heavy heart, I asked a vet friend to please come to my home and let Charlie pass over the rainbow bridge in the most dignified and comfortable way possible.
Rest easy my Charlie. Thank you for all the joy you brought to my life in such a short time.
Gorgeous Spencer. He was the most affectionate, relaxed cat. He was about five years old and unfortunately had an owner that neglected him for way too long. By the time I found out about Spencer’s condition, it was too late.
Spencer had a very rare auto-immune disease which caused raw open sores to develop above his eyes. With the correct diet and medication, Spencer’s condition could be treated. But his irresponsible owner did nothing to help him, and his condition worsened to the point that he lost his eyesight.
From the moment I took Spencer home with me, we started treatment. But at that point, his condition was so bad that his immune system was chronically compromised.
Spencer’s condition continued to worsen, and eventually, the only thing left to do was to help him over the rainbow bridge. He’s resting peacefully in my garden now.
My biggest heartbreak is Frankie. I found him in Pochutla while at the gas station. He was limping and full of ticks. Of course, I couldn’t leave him there. I called him and he casually jumped into the front seat of my car no questions asked. He trusted me instantly.
He was such an affectionate dog and got along with people and other animals. I was treating him for a bad foot infection and was about to start his treatment for TVT, a highly contagious sexually transmitted tumor that can only be cured with chemotherapy.
He was a young two-year-old dog with so much potential, and I was determined to give him a second chance at an amazing life.
But just after one week of living with me, someone purposely poisoned Frankie. This is how people deal with animals that they don’t want walking around their neighborhood. Frankie died a very cruel and painful death, and I will unfortunately never forget his suffering.
Frankie is buried in my garden. At least he is free from human cruelty now. I’ll never forget his beautiful big eyes and his gentle spirit.
I rescued Lala from an irresponsible pet owner who had 28 unsterilized dogs on their property. When I found Lala, she was suffering from mange and malnutrition. Although she was weak, I was sure she would become another miracle story and have a second chance at living a healthy, happy life.
However, after two months of treatment in foster care, Lala wasn’t getting better. Tests suggested that Lala had distemper, and all we could do was treat the symptoms and hope that her immune system could overcome the deadly disease. Unfortunately, Lala died in her sleep in her foster’s home.
This was a tragic day for all who had grown to love her. Our only consolation is that she died having experienced unconditional love.
I’m sorry for sharing this heart-breaking photo of Anjo with you, but it’s important to highlight the severe abuse so many dogs experience in this part of the Oaxaca coast.
I received a call about a starving dog tied up in a garden. I went to the house concerned that the owner might get aggressive with me for wanting to help his dog. Luckily, he wasn’t home. I found Anjo tied to a tree with a piece of metal wire around his neck.
I could see instantly that Anjo was in severe pain. I removed the wire and took him to the local vet. Although I was prepared to do anything to save Anjo, the vet explained that he had been starved so long that it was too late to save him. His organs were shutting down.
So, I did the best thing I could at the time to ease his suffering. I put Anjo to sleep and buried him in a quiet spot where he could finally rest. Be free little Anjo. No one can hurt you now.
I was on a road trip with a friend in Playa Salchi just outside of Puerto Angel when I spotted Porchie in the distance. I made my friend stop the car, and that was the end of our road trip. It turned out that Porchie had an owner who I spoke to. The owner insisted that Porchie didn’t want to eat, but when I gave him food he didn’t stop eating. He was hungry!
From the situation, it was clear that Porchie’s owner didn’t want him anymore. I took Porchie home and tried to save him. I wanted to give him a second chance at living an amazing life that he deserved.
Unfortunately, Porchie had been neglected for way too long and he passed away peacefully in my friend’s home a few days later.
I got a call about a dog in Barrio 20 de noviembre, Huatulco that needed urgent help. The local community had completely shunned him because he had a large growth on his nose.
When I arrived, I saw people shooing him away while he was trying to drink from another dog’s water bowl. I grabbed Tobacco without thinking twice and took him back with me to Puerto Angel.
Unfortunately, the local vet said Tobacco had a serious tumour on his nose and other health issues that were causing him a lot of pain and discomfort. The kindest thing would be to help him over the rainbow bridge, so that is what we did.
On the same day that I rescued Tobacco, I also rescued Whiskey. He was standing listlessly on a pavement full of mange. He was so small and cute, and I knew that after getting a good bath and mange treatment that it would be easy to find him a home. And I was right!
Soon after I rescued him, he was adopted by a wonderful family who treated him like a little prince. However, Whiskey had contracted distemper in the village where I found him, and he passed away as a result.
He is buried in a special spot under a tree near the beach where he will always have shade and hear the sound of the ocean.
During a spay/neuter campaign in Barrio 20 de noviembre, Huatulco a child walked up pushing Baloo in a wheel barrow.
He was seeking medical assistance for his beloved dog. Baloo had apparently been in a dog fight two weeks before and his bites had not been treated. They became so infected that the infection had affected his heart.
We decided that the kindest thing we could do for beautiful Baloo was to help him over the rainbow bridge.
I received a call about a dog lying on the side of the road in Puerto Angel. When I arrived at the scene, I could see that Rusty was severely starved and full of mange. I heard that he had an owner that had completely neglected him, so I took Rusty to my friend’s home where he would receive foster care.
I truly believed that I could help Rusty, but when we went to the vet we discovered that Rusty had no teeth and was riddled with ailments including severe Ehrlichiosis.
Rusty’s organs would likely not be able to handle the intense treatment he required, and so, based on the vet’s recommendations, we decided to put Rusty to sleep. Rest easy Rusty boy.